Got ripe bananas sitting around in your kitchen then you have to make this moist gluten free banana cake recipe. Try our mouth-watering gluten-free banana snack cake! Made with ripe bananas, gluten-free flour, and butter.
The cinnamon cream cheese frosting topping perfectly complements the flavor of the bananas, making for an absolutely delicious combination.
When developing this gluten-free banana cake I used my gluten free chocolate chip banana bread recipe as a starting point. I have tested different variations and have included some of them below for you to try also.
Sheet cakes are perfect for making ahead and taking along to family events or parties. Check out my other gluten free cake recipes such as my gluten free lemonade cake, Chocolate crumb cake, Gluten free chocolate sprinkle cake, and Gluten free traybake.
⭐ Why we love this recipe
- So easy to make - This gluten free snack cake is so simple to make and results in a moist and flavorful cake that's perfect for a snack, or dessert.
- Made with ripe bananas - Adds natural sweetness and is great for reducing food waste.
- The perfect pairing - The addition of cinnamon cream cheese frosting takes this banana bread to the next level, providing a perfect balance of flavors.
- Gluten free - Uses only gluten free ingredients to make this banana cake gluten free.
- Dairy free option - Easily adapted to make a dairy free banana cake.
📋 Ingredients Notes
- Gluten free self raisng flour - I used Doves free from self raising flour. You can use your preferred brand of gluten free self raising flour.
- Light brown sugar - I love using light brown sugar as I feel it helps with making this cake beautifully moist. If you prefer you could use white sugar and this will still work well.
- Unsalted Butter - I use unsalted butter and melt it in the microwave and let it cool slightly before using. If you want to make a gluten and dairy-free banana cake you can substitute the butter for your preferred dairy-free block.
- Eggs - Use large eggs at room temperature.
- Vanilla extract - Using good quality vanilla extract will compliment the flavors well.
- Ripe Bananas - This banana bread only uses two bananas. If you want a more intense banana flavor you could use 3 bananas.
See the recipe card below for full ingredients & measurements.
⚡ Substitutions & Variations
This gluten free banana cake recipe is so adaptable. I have made a list of different variations of this recipe that I have previously tested that you can also give a try.
- Chocolate chips - Adding 100g chocolate chips to the cake batter to make a gluten free chocolate chip banana cake with yummy little pockets of chocolate.
- Ground Cinnamon - If you love the combination of bananas and cinnamon you could add ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the cake batter.
- Chocolate - Instead of cream cheese frosting you could top the banana cake with melted chocolate or chocolate ganache frosting that I used in my gluten free chocolate cupcakes for a delicious gluten free chocolate banana cake.
- Walnuts - You can add 100g of chopped walnuts to the cake batter or alternatively on top of the cream cheese frosting for a gluten free banana and walnut cake.
🥣 Step by Step Instructions
Below is a brief step-by-step process with photos of how to make gluten free banana cake.
See the recipe card below for more detailed recipe instructions.
Step 1: Preheat oven to 175°c/340°F/Gas Mark 4. Prepare the baking tin with parchment paper. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
Step 2: In a separate bowl mix together melted butter, eggs, and vanilla then add mashed bananas.
Tip: When lining the baking tin I like to wrap the parchment paper over the edges of the tin as it makes it easy to lift the cake out when cooled.
Step 3: Add the wet mix to the dry mix and whisk until fully combined.
Step 4: Transfer the banana cake batter to the lined baking tin and spread evenly. Place the tin in the oven for approximately 25 minutes.
Step 5: When it looks golden brown and has slightly risen check the banana snack cake with a skewer. When it comes out almost clean it is ready to be moved to the cooling rack. Leave the cake in the tin until fully cooled as the cake will be too delicate to slice while it is still warm.
Step 6: Leave to fully cool before making the cinnamon cream cheese icing (See the recipe card for full instructions to make the frosting). Once the cake is cool and you have made the cream cheese frosting spread the frosting evenly over the top of the cake.
💡 Pro Recipe Tips
- Gluten Free Flour – I used a shop bought Gluten free flour blend from Doves Farm Freee from range. Which is a flour blend of Rice, Potato, Tapioca, Maize and Buckwheat flour. I have had reports that other gluten free self raising flour brands have also worked well. I would love to know what flour blends worked for you. So feel free to get in touch by leaving a comment below or you can contact me directly.
- Kitchen Scales - Using digital scales is recommended when baking. I always measure using scales and in grams, as baking is a science. When baking gluten free it is essential to weigh out ingredients to get the best results! There is no need to purchase expensive digital scales and you can find them available cheaply online.
- Oven Temperatures - Your oven temperature may be slightly different. As all ovens vary in temperature and the baking time is used as a guide. Some ovens run hotter than others. You could invest in an oven thermometer to be more accurate.
❓ Recipe FAQs
You have come to the right place as this banana cake is gluten free. Be sure that you use gluten free flour and all other ingredients are gluten free.
Yes, that is no problem. To make gluten dairy free banana cake just substitute the butter for your preferred dairy-free butter block. You can make the icing dairy free by substituting for your preferred dairy free alternative.
Yes, bananas are naturally gluten-free. They do not contain gluten protein, which is typically found in wheat, barley, and rye. Therefore, bananas are safe to eat for people with gluten intolerance or celiac disease.
You can store the banana cake in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Yes, If you want to make the banana cake in advance it freezes really well in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature and then top with icing once fully defrosted.
🍌 Gluten Free banana Recipes
If you tried this gluten free banana cake recipe. Please leave a star 🌟rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page. Subscribe to get free recipes straight to your inbox.
Gluten free Banana Cake
Nutritional information is meant as a guideline and all information is approximate.
- 8 x 8 square baking tin
- Electric beaters (not essential)
Gluten free Banana cake
- 280 grams Gluten free self raisng flour To make self raising flour at home by mixing 2 teaspoons of baking powder with every 125 grams of Gluten free All purpose flour (Plain flour in the UK).
- 150 grams Light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 160 grams Butter (Melted)
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 Ripe Bananas
Cinnamon and vanilla cream cheese frosting
- 100 grams Cream cheese
- 50 grams Butter (Room temperature)
- 200 grams Powdered sugar (Icing sugar) Sieved
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ Teaspoon Vanilla extract
How to make Gluten free Banana cake
- Preheat oven to 175°c/340°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Prepare baking tin with greaseproof paper. I like to wrap paper over the edges of the tin as it makes it easy to lift the cake out when cooled.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix together melted butter, eggs, and vanilla then add mashed bananas.
- Add wet mix to dry mix and stir until fully combined.
- Transfer mixture to the lined baking tin and spread evenly. Place the tin in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes. Do not open the oven until this time as you don't want the heat to be lost from the oven.
- Check your cake with a skewer when it looks golden brown and has slightly risen. when it comes out almost clean it is ready to be moved to the cooling rack. Leave the cake in the tin until fully cooled as the cake will be too delicate to slice while it is still warm.
- Leave to fully cool before making the cream cheese icing.
How to make cinnamon cream cheese frosting
- Beat Cream cheese and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar a few tablespoons at a time whisking between until fully combined.
- Add Vanilla and cinnamon and whisk until light and fluffy (I recommend electric whisk for around 5 minutes)
- Place frosting in the fridge for at least 15 minutes before putting the icing on the cake as this will make it easier to spread.
- Once the cake is cool and you have made the cream cheese frosting spread evenly over the top of the cake. You can leave the frosting on its own or decorate it with your preferred topping or decoration.
Nutritional information is meant as a guideline and is always an approximate calculation. Recipes may include information of various products used. It is your responsibility to check that ingredients you use when making a recipe are gluten free.
I hope you enjoyed this Gluten free Banana Cake recipe.