Gluten free S'mores cookies are so delicious they will quickly become a family favorite cookie recipe. They are deliciously sweet, chewy with chocolate gooeyness, and only 15 minutes of baking time. What's not to love!
If like me you love s'mores around the campfire. These cookies will definitely be a hit with you as they have crunchy edges but a chewy texture with pockets of melted chocolate and marshmallows you will make these gluten free s'mores cookies on repeat.
They are perfect for those rainy days as they are made in the oven. The best part is no one will even guess that they are gluten-free. If you are a fan of cookies check out my Mini egg cookies, Strawberry meringue cookies, and gluten free brookie's for some inspiration.
What are S'mores Cookies?
S'mores cookies are a yummy twist to the classic S'mores campfire treat. When developing this recipe I used my Gluten free Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe as a baseline. I then added the traditional S'mores ingredients such as Graham Crackers and marshmallows. Testing the recipe many times and after many different variations, Eventually, I felt like I had a perfect balance and the recipe perfected.
How to make it Gluten free?
Usually, S'mores are made with Graham Crackers, and in the UK Digestive biscuits is a great alternative. Make it gluten free by using gluten-free flour, certified gluten free Graham Crackers, or gluten free Digestive biscuits. This ensures that you have made the s mores cookies gluten free. Always check that you use gluten free chocolate chips as some chocolate brands may contain gluten.
- Ice cream scoop to make cookie balls
- Baking sheet
- Gluten-free all purpose flour - AKA gluten free plain flour in the UK. To make s'mores cookies gluten free I used the brand doves free from but you can use your preferred brand of gluten free flour.
- Brown Sugar - I love using brown sugar in my cookie recipes. I used light brown sugar but dark brown sugar will also work.
- Caster Sugar - Don't worry if you don't have caster sugar at home as granulated sugar will also work well.
- Unsalted butter - melted and cooled
- Chocolate - (milk or Dark) Chopped, Always check the label to be sure that the chocolate does not contain gluten.
- Xanthan Gum - Used as a binding agent in gluten free baking. Essentially acting like gluten keeping everything together. You can omit this if your flour blend already contains xanthan gum.
- Mini Marshmallows - I used mini marshmallows. If you prefer you could also use larger marshmallows and pop them in the middle of the cookie for a larger gooey center just add it at the same time as the mini marshmallows directed in the recipe. Always check that the marshmallows are gluten free.
- Gluten Free Digestive biscuits or Gluten Free Graham Crackers
- large Egg
- Baking Soda - Also known as Bicarbonate of soda
- Baking Powder
- Vanilla extract
- Melt butter in the microwave once cool add to sugar and mix together until creamy.
- Then add vanilla extract and the egg to the creamy mixture. Next, beat until fully combined.
- Then add flour, Digestive/graham cracker crumbs, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt, and Xanthan gum and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Then add in the chopped chocolate, gently knead into the mixture, and place the cookie dough in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the dough onto the lined baking sheet. Leave around 3 inches between cookies.
- I do not recommend that you place no more than 6 cookies on each baking sheet as you want to allow plenty of room for them to spread.
- Place the baking sheet in the center of the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Then carefully remove it from the oven. Then gently press your desired amount of marshmallows into the top of each cookie.
- Finally, place the cookies back into the oven and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Gluten Free Flour – I used a shop-bought Gluten free flour blend from Doves Farm Freee from range. Which is a flour blend of Rice, Potato, Tapioca, Maize, and Buckwheat flour. I have had reports that others have used Bob’s Red Mill and other Gluten free All-purpose blends with my recipes that have worked well. I would love to know what flour blends worked for you. So feel free to get in touch by leaving a comment below or you can contact me directly.
- Kitchen Scales - Using digital scales is recommended when baking. I always measure using scales and in grams as baking is a science. When baking gluten free it is essential to weigh out ingredients to get the best results! There is no need to purchase expensive digital scales and you can find them available cheaply online.
- Oven Temperatures - Your oven temperature may be slightly different. As all ovens vary in temperature and the baking time is used as a guide. Some ovens run hotter than others. You could invest in an oven thermometer to be more accurate.
Timing is key. I don't add the marshmallows to the cookie dough mixture as they will completely dissolve into the dough. Adding the marshmallows on top of the cookies in the last 5 minutes of baking time will ensure they are slightly melted and gooey without completely dissolving into the cookie.
Not all marshmallow brands are gluten-free. Some brands may use wheat but most do use cornstarch. I recommend you always check the ingredients label to be sure you are using gluten free marshmallows.
Milk and Dark chocolate will work well in this recipe. I prefer to use milk chocolate in my S'mores recipes as it has a higher cocoa butter than dark chocolate which means it will melt much quicker and easier. Check out my gluten free chocolate guide.
Yes! If you love a warm cookie. You can reheat a cookie by popping it in the microwave for 10 seconds. This will give you that warm S'mores deliciousness that you will love.
This can be stored in an airtight container for you to enjoy for up to 4-5 days.
The cookie dough can be frozen in a freezer-safe container/bag for up to 3 months. The cookie dough balls can be baked straight from the freezer. Bake for a few minutes longer before adding the marshmallows or Leave the cookie dough to fully defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
Get Gluten Free Recipes straight to your Inbox
Check out my other Gluten-free Recipes
Gluten Free S'mores Cookies
Nutritional information is meant as a guideline and all information is approximate.
- Ice cream scoop to make cookie balls
- Baking sheet
- 210 grams Gluten-free All purpose Flour AKA GF plain flour in UK
- 100 grams Brown Sugar
- 100 grams White Sugar
- 110 grams Unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 120 grams Chocolate (milk or Dark) Chopped
- 1 large Egg
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda AKA Bicarbonate of soda. Some brands may have ingredients that contain gluten. Always be sure to check the label.
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder Some brands may have ingredients that contain gluten. Always be sure to check the label.
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- 50 grams Mini Marshmallows
- 100 grams Gluten Free Digestive biscuits or Gluten Free Graham Crackers
- Chop chocolate into good size chunks. You can use chocolate chips if prefered. Take the digestives/graham crackers and blend them into a crumb-like consistency. (Alternatively, Pop them in a freezer bag and using a rolling pin or wooden spoon you can crush them easily)
- Melt butter in the microwave and once cool add to sugar and mix together until creamy.
- Add vanilla extract and egg to creamy mixture and beat until fully combined.
- Add flour, Digestive/graham cracker crumbs, baking soda, baking powder, salt, Xanthan gum and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Add chopped chocolate and gently knead into the mixture and then place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Line 2 baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
- After 30 minutes using an ice cream scoop to scoop the dough onto the lined baking sheet. Leave around 3 inches between cookies. I would not put more than 6 cookies on each baking sheet as you want to allow plenty of room for them to spread.
- Place the baking sheet in the fridge for a further 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas mark 3
- Place the baking sheet in the center of the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Carefully Remove from oven and gently press your desired amount of marshmallows into the top of each cookie and place back into the oven and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- I recommend baking the baking sheets of cookies one at a time to ensure they are baked evenly as they are best baked in the middle of the oven.
- Leave to cool on the baking sheet until they are cool and firm before transferring to cooling rack.
Nutritional information is meant as a guideline and is always an approximate calculation. Recipes may include information of various products used. It is your responsibility to check that ingredients you use when making a recipe are gluten free.
I hope you enjoyed this gluten free S'mores cookie recipe.
I would love your feedback. Please rate this recipe and leave a comment below. You can also tag me in any photos taken when trying this recipe over on my Instagram.
Loved these s’more cookies. I used a large marshmallow in the middle and they turned out amazing.