Crème Chantilly also known as french whipped cream, sweetened whipped cream, and chantilly cream is not as complicated as it may sound. It's simply just whipped cream with added sugar and vanilla and only takes 5 minutes to whip up.
This is my go-to homemade gluten free whipped cream recipe as it's so easy to make and really pairs well with many desserts or as an added topping or filling for my gluten free Victoria sponge cake, Gluten free no bake cheesecake, strawberry meringue cookies or pies.
As it only takes 5 minutes to put crème chantilly together and is fresh, smooth, and creamy I just don't see why I would use store-bought whipped cream when this is so easy and doesn't contain all the extra ingredients found in ready-made whipped cream.
⭐ Why we love this recipe
- Fresh and Silky - There is no comparison between homemade whipped cream and store-bought canned or frozen whipped cream. Hands down fresh homemade crème chantilly win every time. The texture is smooth and silky and the flavor is fresh and can be adapted to suit your own taste.
- Only 3 ingredients - No need for lots of ingredients this sweetened whipped cream only requires cream, sugar, and flavoring.
- Easy to make - You won't believe how simple Chantilly cream is to make that it is now my go-to topping for many desserts.
- Gluten free - All ingredients are naturally gluten free.
- Many uses - The creme Chantilly can be used to fill pies, decorate cakes and cupcakes, and Scone or cake fillings. Also amazing served with fresh strawberries as an easy summer dessert. Really the list is endless.
🧁 what is chantilly cream
Chantilly cream or crème Chantilly is another name for sweetened whipped cream. It is credited to François Vatel who created it at the Château de Chantilly in France during the 17th century. It has gone on to be a popular cream served all over the world and is used in many desserts, pastries, and cake frostings.
📝 Ingredients Notes
- Heavy Cream - Always use cold heavy cream. Depending on where you are you may know this as heavy whipping cream or double cream. It is essential to use a cream that has at least 35% fat content to ensure that the cream results in beautiful whipped peaks.
- Powdered Sugar - Also known as icing sugar. It has also been known to use granulated sugar but if not whipped right can have a grainy texture. So I have opted for powdered sugar as I feel it is fail-safe and results in a smooth texture every time. You might find my is powdered sugar gluten free information useful if you are following a gluten free diet.
- Vanilla Extract - Use a good quality vanilla extract or check out the substitutions for various flavor ideas.
See the recipe card below for ingredients measurements.
⚡ Substitutions & Variations
Why not mix things up and try some different flavors or if you are wanting to match up the chantilly cream to match the cake or dessert you are making. I have added a few suggestions below but I would also love to hear in the comments what flavors you have tried.
- Almond Whipped Cream -Use Almond Extract instead of Vanilla extract.
- Chocolate Chantilly - Use up to 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder adding a little half a tablespoon at a time until it reaches your desired taste.
- Orange Chantilly Cream - Add 2 tablespoons of orange juice or 1 teaspoon of orange extract.
- Reduced sugar - You can reduce the sugar in the sweetened whipped cream recipe if you desire. Just add sugar a little at a time until it reaches your preferred sweetness.
🥣 Step by Step Instructions
Below is a brief step-by-step process with photos of how to make Creme Chantilly. See the recipe card below for more detailed recipe instructions.
Step 1: Pour the cold cream into a large bowl or stand mixer and add the vanilla.
Step 2: Add one tablespoon of sugar at a time and mix gently until all the sugar is combined with the cream. (Adding the sugar bit by bit will prevent a sugar dusty mess).
Step 3: Turn your mixer to a high setting and whisk until the cream thickens and soft peaks start to form.
Step 4: The creme chantilly is now ready to be placed into a piping bag or served with your favorite dessert.
Notes: French whipped cream can also be whisked by hand. This will require some elbow grease and take a little longer.
👩🍳 Piping Crème Chantilly
If you want to pipe the homemade whipped cream I find it easier using the steps below. As it keeps both hands free to add the cream into the piping bag and for me reduces the mess I can make when adding icing to the bag.
Step 1: Once you have the piping nozzle inside the bag. Taking a tall glass place the bag inside and then overlap the sides of the bag on the edge of the glass.
Step 2: With your hands now free you can easily add the icing to the inside of the piping bag.
Notes: You might also find the tips from the Pioneer woman on how to fill a piping bag helpful.
💡 Pro Recipe Tips
- Tip #1: Chill your mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes before you start making the cream. This will help the cream to whip up faster and hold its shape better.
- Tip #2: Use heavy cream with a high-fat content (at least 35%). The higher the fat content, the better the cream will hold its shape.
- Tip #3: Start whipping the cream slowly and gradually increase the speed. This will help to incorporate air into the cream and prevent it from curdling and be light and fluffy.
- Tip #4: Watch the cream closely as you whip it. Over-whipping can cause the cream to turn into butter, although under-whipping will result in a runny cream. You want the cream to form beautiful soft peaks when you lift the beaters.
🥧 Uses for Creme Chantilly
There are so many ways that you can use chantilly cream and I have used it in many recipes and will continue to use it as it is so easy to make and a guaranteed gluten free whipped cream. Below are some of the ways and recipes I have used it.
- Cake Frosting - I have filled and frosted my Gluten free Victoria sponge cake for a fresh finish.
- Cupcake frosting - Topped my jam filled cupcakes.
- Cheesecake topping - I love decorating cheesecakes with fresh cream like in my no bake pumpkin cheesecake bars.
- Summer Pie filling - Filling a tart shell with creme chantilly and topping with fresh fruit like my strawberry tarts recipe makes an easy summer dessert.
- Strawberries and cream - Serve in a dessert dish with fresh berries and top with cream is a favorite no-fuss dessert.
- Scone filling - It wouldn't be scones without jam and fresh cream. I topped my lemonade scones with this very cream.
❓ Recipe FAQs
Store the fresh whipped cream in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Yes, you can make chantilly cream up to 5 days in advance. You may need to slightly whisk again if it loses its consistency.
Yes, homemade whipped cream is naturally gluten free as heavy cream, heavy whipping cream, double cream, and sugar do not have any ingredients containing gluten.
🍰 More recipes
If you tried this Crème Chantilly recipe. Please leave a star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & a review in the comments section further down the page or tag me on Instagram.
Chantilly Cream (French Whipped Crème Chantilly)
Nutritional information is meant as a guideline and all information is approximate.
- Stand mixer or hand-held whisk
- Large bowl
Chantilly cream ingredients
- 600 ml Heavy Cream (Cold) AKA Double cream
- 100 grams Powdered Sugar (Sieved) AKA Icing Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
How to make Chantilly cream
- Pour the cold cream into a large bowl or stand mixer and add the vanilla.
- Add one tablespoon of sugar at a time and mix gently until all the sugar is combined with the cream. (Adding the sugar bit by bit will prevent a sugar dusty mess).
- Turn your mixer to a high setting and whisk until the cream thickens and soft peaks start to form. ( This only takes a few minutes when using a stand or electric whisk)
- If you over-whisk and the cream is too thick just add in a little extra cold cream and continue to whisk slowly.
- The creme chantilly is now ready to be placed into a piping bag or served with your favorite dessert.
Nutritional information is meant as a guideline and is always an approximate calculation. Recipes may include information of various products used. It is your responsibility to check that ingredients you use when making a recipe are gluten free.
I hope you enjoyed this creme chantilly recipe.