This gluten free chocolate chip pumpkin bread recipe is super simple to make and results in a delicious soft moist pumpkin loaf full of all those irresistible fall flavors. No special kitchen equipment or fancy baking skills are required its that easy.
I am all about recipes that come together quickly and then just pop in the oven for the magic to happen and this is one of those fall recipes that does just that. Simple but with delicious results. Quick bread recipes are a family favorite to make ahead and have for gluten free breakfast ideas or pop in the kid's lunch boxes and they just seem to get devoured quickly in my kitchen.
In the summer we are all about Gluten free chocolate chip banana bread and gluten free blueberry banana bread but when the leaves start to fall we always switch to pumpkin bread Gluten free Blackberry muffins and gluten free cinnamon apple overnight oats for a delicious breakfast.
Why we love this recipe
- Full of Fall flavors - With the perfect blend of spices that just complement the pumpkin flavor.
- Quick & Easy - No fancy equipment needed or special baking techniques. A simple and approachable recipe.
- Soft & Moist - Makes a super soft and moist fall bread that keeps well for days.
- Gluten free - Uses only gluten free ingredients.
- Dairy-free option - Easily made dairy free with just a couple of substitutions.
- Gluten free All purpose flour - Known as Gluten free plain flour in the UK. See my baking tips below for the gluten free flour blend I used when making this recipe.
- Xanthan gum - Omit if the flour blend already contains xanthan gum
- Sugar - I prefer using light brown sugar in my pumpkin bread but you can use caster sugar or a mix of half caster sugar and brown sugar if preferred.
- Fall Spices - Full of fall spices that pair really well with the flavor of the pumpkin Ground Cinnamon, Ground Nutmeg, and All spice. If you prefer you could substitute the allspice with ground ginger or add it to the mix for extra flavor.
- Unsalted butter - I find melting the butter in the microwave the easiest option.
- Eggs - Use large eggs kept at room temperature.
- Pumpkin Puree - The star of the show in this recipe. Pumpkin puree will add moisture and flavor to the bread. I used homemade pumpkin puree but canned pumpkin puree will also work well. Just be sure not to use pumpkin pie filling.
- Chocolate chips - This recipe will work well with dark, semi-sweet chocolate. Use your preferred chocolate I used milk chocolate when making this recipe. Always check that you are using gluten free chocolate as some brands may contain gluten.
See the recipe card below for ingredients measurements.
Substitutions & Variations
This gluten free pumpkin bread with chocolate chips recipe results in the best fall quick bread that is so easy to put together but there are other variations that can be added to add additional elements. I have included a few suggestions below.
- Dairy Free Pumpkin Bread - Use dairy free butter and chocolate chips.
- Pumpkin bread with nuts - Add in chopped pecans, and walnuts or leave out the chocolate chips if you prefer plain pumpkin bread.
- Chocolate Drizzle - Take this chocolate chip pumpkin bread to the next level by drizzling chocolate glaze over the top of the bread once it's cooled. See the glaze I used in my gluten free chocolate pop tarts as this works really well poured over the bread.
Step by Step Instructions
Below is a brief step-by-step process with photos of how to make Gluten free Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread. See the recipe card below for more detailed recipe instructions.
Step 1: Mix the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice in a large bowl and set aside.
Step 2: In a separate bowl mix together melted butter, eggs, and vanilla then add the pumpkin puree.
Step 3: Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Step 4: Then add the chocolate chips keeping a small handful aside.
Step 5: Transfer the gluten free pumpkin bread batter to the loaf pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top of your mixture.
Step 6: Place the tin in the oven for approximately 60 minutes.
Notes: Do not open the oven until after 55 minutes as you don't want any heat to be lost from the oven that could cause the bread to sink during the baking process.
The pumpkin bread can be stored in an airtight container for you to enjoy for up to 4 days.
Yes, I often make this recipe the day before as I feel that the flavor develops well once its had time to rest.
Yes, Simply use dairy free butter and chocolate chips if you require dairy free pumpkin bread.
More gluten free Pumpkin recipes
Gluten free Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
Nutritional information is meant as a guideline and all information is approximate.
- 8"x 4" loaf tin
Ingredients for Gluten free chocolate chip pumpkin bread
- 175 Grams Gluten free All purpose flour AKA Gluten free Plain flour in the UK
- ¼ Teaspoon Xanthan gum Omit if the flour blend already contains xanthan gum
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder Some brands may have ingredients that contain gluten. Always be sure to check the label.
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda AKA Bicarbonate of soda. Some brands may have ingredients that contain gluten. Always be sure to check the label.
- 100 Grams Light brown sugar
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ Teaspoon All spice
- 110 Grams Unsalted butter (Melted)
- 2 Large Eggs (Room temperature)
- 150 Grams Pumpkin Puree (Not pumpkin pie filling)
- 100 Grams Chocolate chips (Save a small handful for sprinkling on top)
How to make Gluten free pumpkin bread
- Preheat oven to 175°c/340°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Prepare the baking tin with greaseproof paper. I like to wrap paper over the edges of the tin as it makes it easy to lift the pumpkin bread out when cooled.
- Mix the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix together melted butter, eggs, and vanilla then add the pumpkin puree.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined. Then add the chocolate chips keeping a small handful aside.
- Transfer the pumpkin bread batter to the loaf tin and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top of your mixture. Place the tin in the oven for approximately 60 minutes. Do not open the oven until this time as you don't want any heat to be lost from the oven.
- Check the bread with a skewer and when it comes out almost clean it's ready to be moved to the cooling rack. Leave the bread in the tin until fully cooled as the bread will be too delicate to slice while it is still warm.
Nutritional information is meant as a guideline and is always an approximate calculation. Recipes may include information of various products used. It is your responsibility to check that ingredients you use when making a recipe are gluten free.
I hope you enjoyed this Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread recipe.
I would love your feedback. Please rate this recipe and leave a comment below. You can also tag me in any photos taken when trying this recipe over on my Instagram.